Meet Jhon

Aged 13, Colombia

Jhon lives with his parents and sisters in a home which needs some work. The family bathe in the river as they have no running water at home. The children share one bedroom. Jhon's father works on a farm, but the income he generates is not enough to cover all their daily needs. 

By being accepted into the Stand by Me Care Centre, with sponsorship provision Jhon is able to receive help and support with his education, nutrition, amongst other things.  

Jhon attends a local church with his family. He enjoys math as he loves numbers. He would like to become a professional football player one day.

Where Jhon lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Jhon. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Jhon you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...