Sisay lives with his mum in a rented room, sleeping on a grass mattress. Sisay's mum washes clothes in different households and bakes 'injera' (local bread) to receive an income. She always strives to fulfill his needs, but is not always able to feed him sufficiently. Sisay wears old clothes and shoes, which his mum bought for him a long time ago.
Sisay's mum approached Stand by Me and after assessing their situation Sisay was accepted into our school. With sponsorship support Sisay can have access to a quality education with daily meals and medical care.
Sisay loves playing football and his favourite toy is a car. He likes learning English and his ambition is to be a teacher. At home he helps his mum by running errands and by fetching water. Sisay enjoys eating 'injera' (a flat local bread) with different sauces.
Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.
Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Sisay. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Sisay you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.